FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Staying Green this Holiday Season: Be Merry and Recycle
WEST PALM BEACH, FLA. (December 19, 2022) – The City of West Palm Beach is committed to being a model of healthy, environmentally progressive urban living. Consider these holiday disposal and recycling tips:
- CHRISTMAS/HOLIDAY TREE DISPOSAL: The City of West Palm Beach will dispose of your tree. Artificial trees should be disposed of as trash. Real trees should be placed during yard waste days. Remove all decorations, tinsel, and tree stands. Place the tree at the curb for pickup on your yard waste collection day. Trees should be clear of sidewalks and bike paths. Click here for the holiday collection schedule.
- USE RECYCLABLE PAPER FOR GIFT WRAP, GREETING CARDS: Wrap gifts and use greeting cards made of recyclable paper. Foil-based gift wrapping is not recyclable. Remove ribbons and glitter from greeting cards before recycling. Recycle these items with paper goods and place them in the yellow bin.
- PREP BOXES FOR RECYCLING: Shipping boxes should be broken down and flattened to an area no larger than 3’ x 3’. All packing material must be removed from the boxes. If possible, tie them together and place them into a recycling bin. Oversized cardboard can be taken to one of many community cardboard drop-off locations.
- BATTERY DISPOSAL: Batteries should be removed from musical cards and disposed of at the Solid Waste Authority’s Home Chemical and Recycling Center at 6161 N. Jog Road. (Hours: Monday – Saturday, 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Saturday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Sunday, closed)
- RECYCLE DISCARDED CHRISTMAS LIGHTS: Home improvement and hardware retailers will accept discarded holiday lights, should you wish to recycle them.
- CONSIDER DONATION: Holiday ornaments, decorative pieces, clothing, and toys in good condition can be donated to a local nonprofit, church, or shelter to be reused.
For more information on typical recyclables and Office of Sustainability green living programs, please visit https://www.wpb.org/government/sustainability. To contact the City of West Palm Beach Office of Sustainability, please dial (561) 804-4994 (TTY 800-955-8771) or email [email protected].
Originally published at https://www.wpb.org/Home/Components/News/News/3138/772?npage=3
The post Staying Green this Holiday Season: Be Merry and Recycle first appeared on Floridas News.